Now more than ever, many business owners are looking to move from Magento to Shopify. In a substantial market with competitors, there’s a requirement for eCommerce entrepreneurs to concentrate on selling their products in the right marketplace. Something you don’t need is additional work. Specifically, work that takes you away from your main job of making and closing sales.
In 2020, Magento 1 reached its end of life. Magento 1 users were at threat of security breaches and not being PCI compliant. PCI is short for the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. They produce worldwide standards for markets worldwide.
Considering these aspects, the option is to instantly update to Magento 2 or leave the platform completely. Regrettably, the upgrade to Magento 2 is expensive, with costs in some cases reaching five figures. So, to keep overhead costs down, business owners are having to check out other eCommerce platform choices.
The functionality of Magento continues to enhance, however, the cost for users continues to increase. The implication of this is Magento may now be a much better fit for medium to large-sized services. With this in mind, it’s not stunning that little to mid-sized businesses are seeking to migrate Magento to Shopify because of these issues.
Move From Magento To Shopify
For the best results, it’s suggested for you to follow a step-by-step process for migration. Here’s what you require to do:.
Step 1: Don’t Shut Down Your Business
This goes without saying, however it may be useful to mention this simply in case. Do not shut down your organization operations on Magento throughout the migration procedure.
The process can be smooth, but it will take a while. You do not want to close off your income stream throughout that time. You can migrate from Magento to Shopify while keeping your shop open on Magento. Keep your organization running!
Step 2: Create A Shopify Account
This part is relatively simple. Enter your email address, then click on “begin totally free trial”. Create your shop, and that’s it. You don’t even need to put in your credit card details till the trial period is over.
Shopify’s complimentary trial lasts for fourteen days. You can use this period to get knowledgeable about the features of the eCommerce store without dedicating to a payment plan. It’s an excellent opportunity for hands-on learning more about the eCommerce platform. This is likewise a good time to see what the Shopify buzz is everything about.
To start a totally free trial on Shopify, click on this link. Make good use of their customer care team. They will be glad to help you with your learning procedure. When the totally free trial duration ends, you will have to add your charge card to use and access the store.
Shopify has three rate plans particularly Basic Shopify, Shopify and Advanced Shopify.
- Fundamental Shopify is priced at $29 each month.
- Shopify is priced at $79 per month.
- Advanced Shopify is priced at $299 per month.
- Each strategy includes various features that set it apart from the other. For example, a Shopify strategy enables an account to have up to 5 employees, while Basic Shopify permits 2.
Step 3: Make A Decision On Elements That Require Migration From Magento To Shopify
You may be thinking, “Why will I want to leave anything behind?” Hear us out initially. Start by taking the essential stuff. This includes client information, item info, blog posts, graphics, and other marketing material. You will likewise require to move classifications from Magento to Shopify. Your product and content classifications ought to not be left out.
However, we make sure that in the midst of all this, some data will show to be outdated. In this ever-evolving world, we live in, that is perfectly all right. Nevertheless, you need to take unique care not to take this ineffective information into your new area at Shopify.
Go through your Magento store completely and find out what you will migrate. Also, find out what you will have to leave behind. If your Magento store is not too old, this step might not apply to you. On to the next one!
Step 4: Create A Backup Of Your Magento Store
If your migration is to be effective, your information should be safe. If you end up losing your information, then the migration will all be for nothing. You will have to start from scratch! Some Magento hosting companies offer automated backups for their clients.
If you’re such a client, terrific. Simply in case, you ought to still inspect that all your information is supported. If your hosting provider doesn’t, here’s what you need to do.
How To Backup Magento 1
- Go to Magento’s Admin Panel, then click on ‘System’ >>’ Tools’ >>’ Backups’.
- Select the kind of backup you want to develop. The types are System backup, Database backup and Media backup.
- The System backup creates a backup of your file and database system. The Database Backup produces a backup of your database. Lastly, the Media Backup produces a backup of all the media in your store.
- A warning will pop up. It will suggest that the backup process will take time. Which you will need to wait. Click OK.
- Develop a backup name. You can just utilize numbers, alphabets and spaces in the backup name you create. There will be a checkbox that states “Put store on upkeep mode while in backup creation”. You can choose to check it or not.
- If you picked System Backup, you will likewise see a checkbox that says “Exclude media folder from backup”. Do not inspect that box. You require all your data from your store.
Step 5: Requirements For Migration
There is more than one way to move from Magento to Shopify. These techniques include:.
- The use of migration applications.
- Migration applications for a set of data in conjunction with other kinds of applications for more specific information.
- Employing a professional designer.
- There are requirements you must consider before choosing how to migrate from Magento to Shopify. These requirements consist of:
- The expense of Magento 2 is one aspect that sends out business owners running to Shopify. Thus, the migration process must not be as pricey as Magento 2 is.
- The most pricey Shopify prices alternative isn’t necessarily the most efficient one. Cut costs if you can, but at the same time, decide based on the functionality of whatever alternative you wish to select. And then, choose one that works finest for your spending plan.
- Find out the length of time each approach will consider you. Generally, this timeline is linearly related to the amount of information you have on your Magento site. Your Magento site might not be working as fast as it ought to be, while this backup-migration process continues. You don’t desire that to be the case for an extended period.
- Safety from loss of data. The migration procedure recommends absolutely nothing if you choose a technique that can not guarantee the security of your data. Check out that thoroughly.
A common option amongst the three methods is using migration applications. There are numerous types offered including Transporter, Import Store, Cart2Cart.
For this guide to migrating from Magento to Shopify, we advise the Import Store app from Shopify due to the fact that it is a Shopify app. It has been particularly created to make the migration from Magento to Shopify smooth.
For individuals who are not tech-savvy, it is a most useful tool. Combined with your information from Magento, you will be able to complete your migration quickly.
Go to your Shopify Admin page. Click ‘Apps’. Then click ‘Import Store’ and download.
Step 6: Export Your Data From Magento
This is just the procedure of transporting your data on Magento to a spreadsheet format. This is important so that Shopify can comprehend the data when it receives it.
To export your data from Magento, go to the Admin Panel.
Click ‘System’ on the Admin panel. Then click ‘Data Transfer’ and ‘Export’.
3 entity types will show up under the Export settings and you must select one. They are Products, Customer Main File and Customer Addresses. The export procedure must be duplicated to export all three types. Repeat it and select a variety each time. This will assist you to move products from Magento to Shopify.
Under ‘Export File Format’, pick ‘XML’ if you’re utilizing the Import Store App. If you’re using a various migration app, pick CSV. A migration app that utilizes the CSV format is Transporter for Shopify Plus. You should likewise pick CSV if you want to import the data into Shopify by hand.
If you wish to export products, customer main file, and customer addresses, you’ll need to duplicate the procedure for each one.
As soon as that’s all done, all your data will be on a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet can be easily comprehended by Shopify’s software application, for that reason, relieving the migration procedure.
Step 7: Import Your Store Data To Shopify
By now, your store’s information remains in a ‘language’ Shopify can understand. It is now time to import that data into Shopify. The actions are as follows:
- Go to the Shopify admin page. Select ‘Apps’. Then click ‘Import Store’.
- A menu will appear. Pick Magento from that menu.
- Click ‘Upload Files’. Choose ‘Add file,’ then pick the files you exported from Magento.
- Select the Magento file you need to download.
- Finally, click the ‘Continue import’ choice. And then, ‘Import’.
At this phase, the importation process is total. You have actually managed to migrate all of your items and data from Magento to Shopify.
Step 8: Go Over And Organize Your Imported Data
It is inadequate to have a simple exportation and importation procedure. It is also very important to examine the imported information to make certain absolutely nothing is missing. You also wish to make sure there are no mistakes.
If some data is missing or there is an error, it’s not the time to panic. Innovation can be buggy. Mistakes can happen when we attempt to move items from Magento to Shopify. Here, you can simply add the missing information again, manually.
Simply check out the ‘Products’ or ‘Customers’ page on the admin panel. Selecting in between ‘Customers’ and ‘Products’ depends upon the kind of data you would like to include.
There are other issues you may keep in mind as you go through your information. A number of them can be fixed by manually re-entering data. For others, it’s possible to find a resolution within the Shopify app.
Some of these problems include:
- Your information has actually been imported effectively, but you have actually observed a few changes. These modifications can be modified in the Shopify app. Simply click on ‘View items’ on your import summary.
- Products sold in packages may stop working to import. Setting Up the Bundle Products and Discounts app will assist to fix this error.
- Surprise products. Some items might be wrongly set to ‘concealed’. To repair this, you should reset your Shopify shop’s item visibility.
- Products without dimensions. All you have to do here is include the dimensions from the item description page.
- Missing out on product specifications. Your item may be missing some variations like colour and flavour (depending on what you’re offering). This implies its importation was not successful. Simply fill in whatever is missing on the product description page.
Step 9: Customize Your New Shopify Store
As soon as your data is totally established, it is now time to style. This is one area where you will totally take pleasure in the advantages of a Shopify store. Modification is a lot easier on Shopify than Magento. You can recreate your shop in the style and colors you desire and with minimal stress too. To begin, log in to your Shopify account.
Shopify has integrated styles prepared for you to use quickly. A few of the styles are complimentary, while others are paid. Each theme can be customized so much that it will not seem a theme. And the very best part is, you need no knowledge of coding to attain this.
All Shopify styles are mobile responsive. This indicates your new eCommerce shop will work effectively on mobile along with desktop. 27% of customers used their mobiles to purchase something rapidly in 2018. This figure is according to Statista. That was 3 years back! Now, imagine how important a mobile-friendly website will remain in 2021.
The DragDropr app from Shopify will assist you to modify your store using the drag-and-drop function. Consider downloading it to make your modifying experience even easier. This is a professional suggestion to assist you to break the style element of migrating from Magento to Shopify, in my book.
Step 10: Save Your SEO Rankings
A drop in SEO rankings right away after an effective migration is not uncommon. Google requires time to process your new shop and upgrade its rankings. However, you should take active actions to preserve your SEO rankings.
To save your SEO ranking, you need to produce a ‘301 redirect’. A 301 redirect is a tool that redirects site visitors from your old site to your new site. It shows your site has been completely altered to a new URL.
Here’s how to develop a 301 redirect after you migrate from Magento to Shopify:
- Open your Shopify Store. Click the Redirection plugin. This plugin will redirect your consumers to your new Shopify store.
- Get in the previous URL and the destination URL.
- Submit them together, and your ‘301 redirect’ will be active.
You might need to draw up all the pages on your Magento site. Then, reroute them to your new Shopify website. As soon as this is done, make sure to check these redirects. Make sure they are working effectively. This is a great method to make the shift as smooth as possible. Your SEO rankings will absolutely improve after some time.
If you are interested in even more business-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels, then we have a lot to choose from.