Many people consider adding an outdoor kitchen to their yard as a gathering place and as an aesthetic improvement to their outdoor space. But did you know that your outdoor kitchen can also boost the value of your home?
Outdoor kitchens aren’t a perfect fit for every family or every home, but under the right conditions, you could make your home more valuable by installing one.
The Value Of An Outdoor Kitchen
Outdoor kitchens come in a variety of styles and varieties. You also have several options for how to create one; for example, you could choose to build your own outdoor kitchen or hire a contractor to do the work for you.
But no matter what type of outdoor kitchen you choose or how you have it built, you’re going to experience several benefits, including:
- Extra cooking space. For starters, you’ll get immediate access to additional cooking space, which can come in handy in various situations. If you’re cooking with someone else, the extra counter space can give you plenty of room to work on a separate dish. If you’re entertaining guests, you can keep the kitchen clear and use your outdoor kitchen for most of the cooking. For culinary artists, it adds space and flexibility that you can use however you choose.
- An excuse to be outside. Most homeowners use their outdoor kitchens as an excuse to be outside. You might already have a patio, or comfortable furniture you can use to relax, but an outdoor kitchen takes things to the next level. If you can cook your own meals and entertain guests with an outdoor kitchen, you’ll be inclined to spend much more time outdoors.
- Potential for gatherings. You can unlock the true potential of your outdoor kitchen when you start throwing parties. Instead of being locked in a cramped kitchen, you’ll be able to cook food and talk with your guests at the same time. You’ll also have plenty of space to move around – and a great conversation starter.
- Beautification. Some homeowners like the idea of an outdoor kitchen because it beautifies their outdoor space. With the right countertops, a new grill, and some other aesthetically pleasing features, your yard will look better than ever.
- Easy upkeep. You can also consider the value of an outdoor kitchen as it relates to upkeep. If you’ve paved over a portion of your yard, you’ll no longer have to mow that area. And cleaning up an outdoor kitchen is, in some ways, much easier than cleaning up an indoor kitchen.
The ROI Problem
Aside from the subjective value that you get from an outdoor kitchen, can you count on an outdoor kitchen increasing the sale price of your home? The short answer is yes. You probably won’t see a home value increase of more than what you spent on installing the outdoor kitchen. However, you should be able to recoup most of the cost.
According to the latest reports, an outdoor kitchen upgrade can return between 55 and 71 percent of the money you spent. That’s quite good for a home improvement project.
Outdoor Kitchen Factors That Affect Home Value
Several variables related to outdoor kitchens can affect the value they add to your home. Among these are:
- Size. As you might imagine, bigger outdoor kitchens tend to be more expensive and add more value to the home. However, there’s a limit here: if the outdoor kitchen is too big, it might push some buyers away.
- Style. Style is mostly subjective, but it can affect how people see your outdoor kitchen. Modern and timeless styles tend to be the most rewarding, but you can always find niche buyers who might be interested in whatever you have.
- Features. When it comes to value, the more features your outdoor kitchen offers, the better. If all you have is a grill and a bit of counter space, you can get away with calling that an outdoor kitchen. But if you have a full stove top, a refrigerator, and other appliances, along with ample cabinets and counter space, you’re going to get more value.
- Age and condition. The age and condition of your outdoor kitchen will also affect its value. Unsurprisingly, old and rundown outdoor kitchens don’t add as much value as their counterparts.
Is An Outdoor Kitchen Right For You?
Is an outdoor kitchen the right home improvement project for your house and your family? That depends on a number of factors, including the amount of time you spend cooking, the gatherings you plan on hosting, and how much money you have to spare.
Make sure you do your research and set a firm budget before making any final decisions.
If you are interested in even more lifestyle-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels, then we have a lot to choose from.