In today’s world, so many actions, interactions, and thoughts are captured and posted online, where they are recorded. Past online conversations and posts can come back at any time and cause a person tremendous trouble.
It is essential to create an online public presence that would satisfy hiring managers, etc. and to protect your privacy. That’s when online reputation management ORM) comes in to play. ORM is a practice that helps develop strategies that can influence the public perception of an individual or business online. ORM helps clients drive public opinion about themselves, or business, services, and products.
There are many services, like Direction Local, to help individuals and companies maintain their reputation online if they are the subject of unfair criticism and bias. Online reputation management is about making sure that your brand, services, and products are fairly represented in search results.
What Does Reputation Management Involve?
Online reputation management involves: addressing criticism publicly, publicly asking for feedback, allowing employees to engage with your audience, and speaking with your audience directly.
Where To Start With Online Reputation Management?
Typically, when criticism of an individual or brand hits the media news, it has spread quickly over social media. Being able to understand brand online reputation management can help in protecting yourself and your business.
Using social media and online content helps in promoting your brand and reputation because brands can be perceived differently by online and offline audiences. An excellent way to manage your online status to tell a story that is cohesive and interesting to your audience. Steer the dialogues you want about your brand.
It can seem risky being transparent in your business, but in today’s world, not being open can be more hazardous in the long run. This is why having an online reputation management contingency plan is essential. Any business is going to face criticisms, its human, we cannot please everyone, but you must be prepared for worst-case scenarios, so your not caught unaware.
When putting together a contingency plan for your reputation management, you will want to consider these questions:
- What if your product or service causes too much backlash?
- What if you receive negative comments that are not true?
- What if someone with a significant online presence posts negative reviews or products of your service?
- What if employees act in a way that could harm your brand?
- What if your competitors take advantage of a negative review?
The Do’s And Don’ts Of Online Reputation Management
Monitoring media and listening to social media are essential tools for building a brand and keeping on top of online reputation, but you also need a concise strategy. You need to know who is talking, what they are talking about, and where they are talking.
It’s important to remember that negative publicity can severely impact your business.
- Improve your search rankings – work on SEO, being on the top of search engine rankings is a good feeling and essential for getting your business notice.
- Ask customers for feedback – ask people for feedback, this is a great way to show your commitment to providing exceptional products and services, and that the opinions of your followers and customers are essential to you. Ask your Facebook followers what posts they want to see from you and where you can improve. This can help with building your business’s trustworthiness.
- Spam Search Results – don’t create a large number of profiles on the web to overwhelm Google. You will only hurt yourself.
- Respond if Upset – responding to a bad review, blog post, or article when you are upset can only hurt your reputation more, your anger can cause poorly worded responses, that can be taken severely.
Your online reputation management strategy should emphasize getting your listing high rankings on search engines and making sure it stays at the top. In order to do this, your plan needs to include producing a variety of quality content and doing the proper SEO management to make your listings stand out.
Online Reputation And Media Monitoring
Effective Online Reputation management needs these principles, making an excellent first impression, owning and embracing who you are, unite and conquer, respecting your community, and listening and paying attention.
If you are interested in even more technology-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels, then we have a lot to choose from.