Are you prone to distractions? Whether it is a work or a personal project we are focused on, at some point, we all tend to get distracted from our daily schedules. There are so many distractions that we encounter everyday, especially in this age of social networking and internet accessibility. However, did you know that there are some things that you can do to help you overcome those distractions?
I must admit, I had this problem in the past. I would often suffer the consequences when I gave in to those distractions. After all, we have TV, surfing the net, Twitter and FaceBook. Sometimes we say, “I’ll be on here for only a few minutes,” and before you know it, time has passed and we have not completed the task list we created for that day. Here are some of my suggestions that hopefully will help with this problem.
1. Focus on the task at hand – I feel the best way to focus is to make a list of the things you need to accomplish, then when you have completed each one, cross it out. If possible, be in a different room than the thing that distracts you. For example, if you are distracted by a television set, make sure that is not present in the room.
2. Avoid procrastinating – Try not to put off what you need done NOW for later. By doing that, you will only be left with more things to be done tomorrow.
3. Give yourself some breaks – Set up some break time. This will allow you to enjoy what you are doing more and encourage you to finish on time when you are happy and not feeling like the work is a burden.
4. Be realistic – Remember the saying, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Be realistic with the tasks you set out to do. Don’t put so many goals to accomplish in one sitting on your list. Let’s be honest, the reason we get distracted in the first place is because some of the tasks are really not that fun to do, hence my next point (#5).
5. Schedule – Time management is important. Learn how to manage your time. Give specific time frames for each activity you love to do and time it so that it does not get in the way of the tasks you need to accomplish. Believe me it is not easy, but it can be done.
Maybe you have some suggestions that you can add to the list here, share it with us below and be heard.