Wearing a shirt that you designed yourself is unique and empowering. There is a myriad of ways to do it and each one will leave with you a one-of-a-kind result. You’ll be sure to turn heads and start conversions when you walk into a room wearing something that you put together.
So what’s the secret? How do you design the coolest shirt ever? With the availability of online fabric printers, it really isn’t difficult. In just 3 steps you can have your own shirt designed, ordered, and on its way to you in no time.
Step 1 – Choose Your Shirt Style
The best way to start designing your cool shirt is to choose what type of shirt you want as the base. According to Meowprint.sg, custom t-shirts represent the identity of a group of individuals, be it for an event or a corporate team. In order to best represent the person, or people, who will wear your shirt, consider what you are going to be designing the shirt for and let that guide the rest of your design process.
To best capture the identity of your wearer(s), consider the following questions:
- Is this for business? You want to try a full button down.
- Is this for rocking out at a summer concert? Look for a tank top or lightweight t-shirt.
- Launching a business and looking for employee uniforms? Try a polo.
- Designing jerseys for your sports’ team? Check out the branded options (e.g. Adidas)
Leading with the shirt style will let you know what area(s) of the shirt you will have for your design; it will also help you visualize the end product.
Step 2 – Bring On The Design
Once you have the style of shirt selected, you can put your design together. In order to design the coolest shirt ever, you’ll want to pay special attention to the following components:
– Details: The shirt can be the best-printed, most colorful piece ever, but if you don’t make the details the key focus, you will struggle to have a cool shirt. Things to look for in the details are: balance, spacing, and symmetry.
– Style: Are you going for something cartoony? Upper-class? Traditional? The style of your design should be consistent and clean. You can combine styles, but in many cases, the fewer the better; it will keep your design understandable and visually appealing.
– Colors: Colors, like details, can make or break your design. Choose colors that blend and complement each other. Colors are also important to consider when you are printing on a shirt because you have the color that you are printing on, and you will have to consider the quality and style of the print work itself in order to achieve the correct colors.
– Intricacy: When you are designing something to go onto a shirt, make sure to keep the intricacy in check for most projects. Little pieces of intricacy enhance the piece, but having too many details and intricate pieces will run the risk of the end-product looking sloppy. Choose one focal point of the design and work to really make that stand out in order to get the coolest design.
Step 3 – Choose Your Color & Printing Style
After you have chosen the style of your shirt and put the design together, it’s time to pick a color to print the design onto; you’ll also have the option to choose the style of printing as well. The main question to keep in mind when you go to choose your shirt color is: Are the colors in my design going to show best on this color?
To get the best shirt possible, don’t pick a color if the answer to that question is even potentially a ‘no’. If the color of your shirt clashes or hides parts of your design, it won’t turn out no matter how much you hope it will. Soft solids are generally the way to go – especially if your design is intricate or has multiple colors.
When you go to choose the style of printing, ask yourself: How complex is my design? The more complex the design, the higher quality printing you will want to use. Depending on the printing service you are using, you will have the following options:
- Digital Heat Transfer Printing
- Silk Screen Printing
- Sublimation Printing
- Direct-to-Garment Printing
The coolest shirt design will be sized correctly for the shirt style, will have balance, the colors will pop and work with the shirt base, and it will be intricate enough to catch your eye, without being too messy. It seems like a lot of pieces to pull together, but taking the design step-by-step will be sure to result in a cool design that can be worn anywhere.
If you are interested in even more lifestyle-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels, then we have a lot to choose from.