Many replacement windows look the same, but they have a difference when it comes to the materials, how they function, and their quality. Always aim to select the best product for your home window replacement project. If you desire to increase energy efficiency, you need to choose the right window materials.
There are many of these windows in the market, and selecting the best one is usually challenging for most homeowners. This WindowTech Windows and Doors guide will provide you with tips on how to choose the best windows for your window replacement project. Let’s get started below.
Selecting Window Replacement Unit Guide
- If you are looking for a low-Maintenance window, go for vinyl. Some people like the luxurious look of wood. You can get a vinyl window with woodgrain finishing to fit well.
- How are the other furniture and finishing of your home? Do you want them to match your windows? If yes, consider buying windows whose locks match those of your home. This will help you complement the look and get the desired look.
- If you want windows that are easy to clean, go for ones whose sashes can tilt or sliding sash windows. Such windows are like single and double-hung windows
- How much do you know about energy efficiency? For energy efficiency, consider windows with Low-E glass and fusion-welded vinyl corners. Double-panes that are gas-filled will help you cut on heating costs.
- Look at the glass options available. All the glass is not the same. You can choose to go for clear glass, tinted, or tempered one.
- If you want a window replacement for the first floor of your house, remember the safety of children who play around. A window with laminated glass would be the best choice. You can also choose one that opens at the top or does not open to protect children and pets from jumping out through the window. A window with laminated glass will not shatter and pour the broken pieces down.
- If you live near the industry or the airport, too much noise comes into your house. Buy soundproof windows. These windows have laminated or impact-resistant glass, which reduces the penetration of noise.
- Make sure you go through different grind options. You can get all kinds, from white colonial grid patterns to dark zinc and brass grinds.
- Also, it is not a must for your window to require a grind. If your house overlooks a lake, mountain or beautiful garden, putting the grind will obstruct the view. You can forgo that.
- If you are getting an installer to install the replacement windows for you, make sure you get qualified. Check their paperwork, ask for a license, and ask for referees to ensure they are trained.
- If your manufacturer asks you to fill and send your warranty forms, ensure you do it and keep your warranty documents in a safe place. In case of an accident or inefficiency, you will need those forms to be compensated.
- If you are doing a DIY on your new replacement windows, check your window manufacturer’s instructions on the installation manual to ensure you are doing the right thing.
- Ensure your new window fits nicely on the opening so that it can be easy to open and close.
- Before you choose window replacement units, study your environment to know the weather type, if it is prone to severe storms and if it is a lot noisy. This way, you will not have a hard time choosing the correct type of glass. Also, ensure you contact your insurance and ask if they offer any discounts. Some companies will consider to give you discounts if you install impact-resistant windows.
- Always buy windows whose manufacturers offer warranties for sash, frame, or the insulating glass units. When anything goes wrong, you will not undergo any expenses.
- Before buying the window, make sure you take measurements not to buy too big or too small window replacement units. If it does not fit well, it might not be as energy-efficient as it should be. You may also have to take it back to the dealer in order to get the right size and that, no doubt, consumes a lot of time.
If you are interested in even more lifestyle-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels, then we have a lot to choose from.