Twitter is a great social networking platform. It lets you communicate with people from all over the world 24/7 real time. We are always told that you cannot have real friends online and that it is impossible to have meaningful friendships with your Twitter friends. I would like to disagree. I believe that you can have real friends. There are a lot of people that I have become close with that I met on Twitter. They are a source of encouragement and a true source of joy.
You may think I am nuts, but it is true and I am so lucky to have known them. I have @adamsconsulting for example. She is one angel that I have found inspiration and true kindness from. She always seems to have a kind word and a wonderful sense of humor that never fails to make me laugh. She has introduced me to her wonderful son Henry, who is so sweet that he sent me a gift that I will cherish forever. Thank you to Twitter, if not for the site, I would have missed a lot of girl talks and genuine friendship.
I also have found @svgrob. Rob is someone that I can speak to and share anything with. He also has a great sense of humor and a very kind heart. No matter how busy he gets, he always has an ear when I need a friend to talk to. He has introduced me to his family, his wonderful kids and his darling wife.
Another person that I have a lot of respect for is @Minervity. He is one of the most kind-hearted and wonderful friends who always makes sure that I am on my toes. lol He is a tough editor to have, but he is one that is very inspiring and I learn a lot from him. His standards and his taste are impeccable and I am so lucky that I am part of his team. He always makes sure that he tells you his expectations and always has a good word or two to boost your confidence.
It is really not hard finding wonderful people on Twitter, you just need to know how to be open to friendships as well.
1. Don’t follow just for numbers – Twitter is your chance to really get to know real people. The numbers may be worthless if you cannot connect and inspire others.
2. They are not mere avatars – They are human beings that live and breath. Twitter is full of real people that you can communicate and share with 140 characters at a time.
3. Be Yourself – Don’t be pretentious. People will recognize that you are being that way. Just be who you are in real life. If they see that you are genuine, people will warm up to you.
4. Don’t be afraid to say hello – Just like in real life, friendships begin with a HELLO, so don’t be afraid to speak out. It does not matter how many followers that person has, they will reply to you if they see that you are friendly, share wonderful info and are open to communicating.
5. Introduce others you know – I know the coolest people and the most engaging ones because I was introduced to them by other people. I also, in turn, introduce the people I know. Giving is always much more fun, don’t you think?
I have been successful in gaining new friends on Twitter because of the things I have pointed out here. If you have any tips, we would love to know them. Say hello to me on Twitter. I always say hello back! I am @mistygirlph.