Which laptop should I buy? – I am sure you must be thinking about this question for a long time. You must have asked for suggestions from your friends, looked for online reviews and finally, you got your dream laptop!
Now you are all set to write your term papers, install your games, but wait, is that all? While buying a new laptop, you expect it to work like a pro. But it doesn’t happen itself, is it? In this article, I will be sharing with you 5 things that you need to do right after buying a new laptop. This will not only improve your laptop life but will also help you use it like a pro.
Excited? Let’s get started.
1. Give A Heads Up To The Windows Updates
We all hate those Windows updates notifications but let me tell you, they are very crucial. Your laptop will automatically start downloading these updates, so instead of waiting for it, why don’t you do it yourself.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your “Search” box section and type “Updates”.
- You will see an option of “Check for updates”, click on it.
- Now, the Windows will start searching for the updates and download it.
The best part, this process will work in the background so you can easily move to the second task.
2. Bid Bye To Third Party Softwares (Bloatware)
We have all seen those third party software for playing games to 30-day trial anti-virus. The truth is, these software are taking up your memory. These bloatware play a crucial role in sucking up your laptop resources and so should be uninstalled.
Here’s the step by step process of how to do it:
- Go to the start menu and search for “Settings”.
- Now go to “System” and select the “App and Features” section from the left menu.
- If you want to skip step 1 and 2, you can directly go to Search Box and type “Add or Remove programs”.
- That’s all guys. Now select the app that you wish to remove and click on “Uninstall”.
3. Move Your Old Data Here
Our laptops are not just for playing games or writing programs. Instead, we store our most precious data and memories in it too. So what good is it if you can’t move your old data to your new laptop?
There are many ways you can move your data from one computer to another, like:
- OneDrive Sync: OneDrive already comes preloaded with Windows. So if your important data is stored in OneDrive, all that you need to do is to sign in to your OneDrive account and you will get your data. Easy, isn’t it?
- Dropbox: While OneDrive comes preloaded in Windows, you need to install DropBox manually if you have stored your data here.
- Manual: If all of your data is stored offline, you need to copy this data manually. To do this, you need to select the files, copy them to the hard drive, and then move this data from the hard drive to the new laptop.
Sounds tedious? Don’t worry. There is an option to make it all automated too. Read this article to know how to transfer files from one laptop to another automatically.
4. Install Antivirus Software
I know this might sound obvious to you, but the importance of an antivirus program cannot be overstated.
Anti-virus programs are highly recommended no matter how carefully you are using www. If you hit one wrong link or download one malicious file, it can crash your whole computer, corrupt your important file and you can even become a victim of a hacking attempt.
Anti-virus program is a great way to avoid these kinds of situations. There are hundreds of antivirus software available in the market. You can check for their reviews to find out which one suits you the best. I have been using Norton btw :)
5. Setup Face Recognition Logins/ Fingerprints
We all hate passwords, don’t we? First, they are complicated to remember, and second, they can be easily misused. But don’t worry, most of the latest generation laptops provide infrared cameras for facial recognition or fingerprint readers. If your laptop also comes with these in-built features, you should set it up. Windows Hello feature allows you to login with a glace or finger. This will save you from the hassle of the usual password. Another benefit is that it improves security too because here nobody else apart from you will be able to access your computer.
Many current-generation laptops come with either a fingerprint reader or an infrared camera for facial recognition. If you have either one, you should set up Windows Hello, a feature that lets you log in with a finger or a glance, so you can avoid the hassle of using a normal password. This is another great security feature to have to keep your files protected.
So that’s all for now, guys! I am hoping these tips will help you set up your new computer and use it like a pro. Do give these tips a try and share your experience with me.
If you are interested in even more technology-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels, then we have a lot to choose from.