I love the idea of webcams, but most of them show very blurry and boring content. I took some time and made a list below of five very cool ones for your enjoyment. These come from a long list of my personal favorites.
I like to leave the penguin cam open in a browser window to keep me company when Iâ€™m working at night. If you catch one of the falcons on the falcon cam you will be glad you waited. They are magnificent creatures. And, itâ€™s fun to spy on people checking out the Space Shuttle exhibit at the National Air and Space Museum.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I have!
1. http://www.africam.com/wildlife/index.php – This live webcam, set up in the plains of Africa, captures wild animals as they make their way to this watering hole. Listen to the soothing sounds from the animals in this environment.
2. http://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/midwestgen/ – This Peregrine Falcon webcam, positioned in Illinois, allows you to watch these incredible birds in their nest. Thanks to the hard work of many people, the Peregrine Falcon has been removed from the endangered species list.
3. http://www.nasm.si.edu/interact/webcams/uhc1/uhc1vt.cfm – This webcam is set up in the Udvar-Hazy Center North Boeing Aviation Hangar at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. Although this cam is small, it is still very cool to see these magnificent airplanes and the people touring the museum.
4. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/efc_splash/splash_cam.aspx – This live Penguin webcam at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California is especially fun to watch while the handlers are feeding the Penguins (feeding times are listed on the site). From this cam, you can also link over to check out the Sea Otter cam, Aquarium cam and others.
5. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/232538/accelerated_webcam_miraflores_lock_panama_canal/ – This accelerated webcam, set up at Miraflores Lock (Panama Canal), converts 12 hours of footage into 1 minute. After visiting the Panama Canal in 2007, and learning about its amazing history, I thought this was a perfect cam to include in this list.
If you have a favorite webcam you’d like to share with all of us, please include it in a comment below (remember, we keep it rated PG here). We’d love to check it out!