Whether it is NFL, baseball or soccer, sports are a big part of people’s lives. As well as playing them, most of us also love watching them. This is where sports coverage makes a big difference. The way that sports are reported and broadcast can hugely affect your access to them and overall enjoyment.
Technology has made a massive impact on sports coverage in a positive way. When you think back to how shows covering basketball or ice hockey used to look, it is quite a change. This is as true for watching the action itself on your screen as it is for the analysis afterward in the studio. With teams such as LA Galaxy in soccer generating over $60m in annual revenue and the NFL making over $8bn in overall revenue last year, it is clear that sports coverage plays a key role.
How Has Technology Made A Difference?
When it comes to reporting and broadcasting sport, technology really has changed things for the better. The invention of the internet has helped greatly as it has allowed for more flexible, digital ways of showing and reporting sports. Of course, advances in the actual equipment used to broadcast and present sports has also made the coverage of them much better.
Here are some fabulous ways that technology has helped:
- 24/7 sport – in days gone by, there were only so many channels to show sports on and rigid ways of being able to cover it for them. This has changed greatly thanks to technology over the years and the digital revolution. Now, you can access coverage anytime you like, either via stations such as Sky using innovative satellite technology or online methods such as podcasts or catch-up shows on your laptop or mobile phone. More channels and more choices mean that there are more avenues to broadcast sport on than before for you to access.
- More interactive experience – a big change that technology has given to sports coverage is a more interactive experience. Now, the action can be paused in a live game, or you can have a choice of games to watch. This is only possible due to the technology and networks sitting behind the broadcasts that allow it to happen.
- Better coverage and analysis – it is not just watching games itself that have seen technology play a huge part. The analysis of the action and shows just talking about your favorite sport are much improved now. With touch-screen replays of the action to analyze in detail, slow-motion replays and next-generation on-screen graphics, the ability that technology gives to cover the games from all angles with a much more polished presentation to entertain is amazing. Think of the current Sunday Night Football show and you will get the idea.
- More camera angles – as well as tech helping to give the pundits more angles to look at afterward, it also provides more in-game angles for you as a fan. The latest cameras, lenses and broadcasting platforms mean that sports can be covered in a much more detailed, informative way now. From numerous camera angles of a decision to find the best view to close-ups on an incident, this is a great leap forward for sports coverage.
- HD and beyond – when it comes to watching sports on screen, HD technology has really made it come alive. The super-sharp definition that it offers brings the play right into your living room and enhances your enjoyment of the game in question.
Online Action Gives A Range Of Choice
Of course, you are not limited to enjoying the NFL or World Series on your TV anymore. Thanks to technology, you can use the latest mobile networks or internet connections to get superb sports coverage. Much of this content is not available on TV stations, and so gives a real range of choice to viewers. Online casino sites are a great example of this – you can watch the game unfold live online before placing an in-game bet. SugarHouse Casino is one such casino in New Jersey that allows you to place a bet while watching the action.
Sports Coverage Owes Technology A Lot
There was a time when sports shows were only enjoyed by sports fans. The coverage could be a bit dull for anyone who was not that interested. Technology has helped change this for the better and brought many more people into the sport. The new breed of shows that it has allowed to flourish is much more entertaining, fun and visually appealing than their predecessors. Of course, it has also been great news for sports fans, who can enjoy this and a much better viewing experience when watching games live.
If you are interested in even more technology-related articles and information from us here at Bit Rebels then we have a lot to choose from.